Zwinger and Sempergalerie in Dresden
TESTED NEW SPECIAL PANES FOR THE SEMPERGALERIE IN THE ZWINGER
Laminated glass consisting of three panes ensures maximum safety
Sollingglas has been involved in the preservation and expansion of Dresden’s world cultural heritage for 2 years. In autumn 2017, 950 panes had to be replaced in the Zwinger as part of a partial renovation of the Sempergalerie. Panes whose light transmittance and UV transmittance are precisely defined and whose colour rendering should be as neutral as possible.
Extensive development work for the glass-coating with an industrial partner and precise laboratory tests of the photometric values of all glass units are only part of the considerable efforts that were necessary in the nine months to meet all requirements. Only the installation of a sample window for the final inspection of the exterior view for appearance and colour eventually led to the final approval.
Finally, a three-part laminated safety glass made of a thermally deformed external outer pane of tempered safety glass (ESG) with a sun protection layer was installed. In the back is an ESG with a heat protection layer as well and inside another laminated safety glass with UV protection.
The Semper Gallery or Semper’s Building (German: Sempergalerie or Semperbau) in Dresden, Germany, was designed by the architect Gottfried Semper and constructed from 1847 until 1854 in the city centre of Dresden. The listed building borders the Zwinger to the northeast towards the Elbe and houses the Alte Meister Picture Gallery.
With a length of 127.35 meters and a height of 23.77 meters, the Sempergalerie is the largest building in the Zwinger complex. The Sempergalerie has been renovated since 2013. In the first construction phase until mid-2015, the east wing was refurbished for 22.3 million euros and by 2019 the west wing will be refurbished for 24.4 million euros. Wear and tear, damage to the skylights and structural problems have made complete renovation necessary. The veneer facing the Theaterplatz has round-arched windows on the upper floor which alternate with the Aediculae windows.